Quick thinking helps limit damage in house fire | News
By: Denise Yuki
MILILANI, HI (HawaiiNewsNow) - A Mililani family's quick reaction may have saved their house from going up in flames.
Fire officials say the blaze, which may have started in a washroom or laundry room, broke out at just after 9:30 this morning. A clothes dryer may be to blame.
"The father of the home actually wanted to make sure that everyone was out safely," said Capt. Carlton Yamada, a Honolulu Fire Department spokesperson. "The son was actually trying to put the fire out with a garden hose, but [the father] immediately just told the rest of his family to get out of the house and call 911."
All of three people in the house made it out safely. The cause of the fire is still under investigation, and damages are estimated at $85,000.
We will have more on this developing story as it becomes available.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- See Two Free Movies at Ewa Beach Library on February 24
- Learn More About Navigating Through New Solar Rules at a Free Solar Open House in Ewa Beach
- Emergency responders to conduct training exercises in Ewa
- See "Despicable Me 2" at Ewa Beach Library on Jan. 28
- Children's Author Will Read Christmas Book at Ewa Beach Library