HPD traffic crackdown continues, hundreds ticketed, dozens arrested | News
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Police Department continued its traffic violation crackdown this past holiday weekend.
More than 400 citations were handed out in Wahiawa as part of the 'safer streets' operation. More than 220 were for speeding, 82 were for moving violations, 5 for mobile device violations.
Honolulu police released the following information on their Facebook page.
On Saturday the HPD Traffic Division conducted a DUI Saturation Patrol operation between 12:01 am and 3:15 am in the area of Districts 3 (Pearl City), 5 (Kalihi), 8 (Kapolei, Waianae). A total of 16 arrests were made of which 6 were for DUI and 10 were for traffic related offenses. In addition, a total of 21 citations were issued of which 9 were for speeding and the remainders were for misc. type violations.
On Sunday the HPD Traffic Division conducted a DUI Saturation Patrol operation between 12:01 am and 3:15 am in the area of Districts 3 (Pearl City) and 5 (Kalihi).
A total of 6 arrests were made of which 2 were for DUI and 4 were for traffic related offenses. In addition, a total of 29 citations were issued of which 8 were for speeding, 2 for excessive speeding, and the remainders were for misc. type violations.
On Monday (Kuhio Day) in District 1 in the area of Kapiolani/ Beretania a Safer Traffic operation was conducted. A total of 10 arrests were made of which 3 were for DUI, the remainders were for traffic related offenses. In addition, 3 citations were issued.
Just last week more than 500 drivers on the leeward coast received citations in just a five-hour period.
Honolulu Police Chief Louis Kealoha says HPD will continue cracking down on speeders.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Malama Learning Center to host Lauhala Weaving for Beginners workshop
- See Ewa Beach Library's Movie Mondays including "The Lego Movie"
- Wealth Managing Partners, Inc. tees off to help ill children of Hawaii
- Woman and three children escape unhurt as fire destroys their Ewa home
- Motorcyclist in stable condition after colliding with vehicle in Ewa Beach
- Servco Automotive Announces New Hire in Marketing: Jennifer Crowe-Lopez
- Common Kings to headline benefit concert for Koolauloa's youth
- Visitor from Utah dies after apparent drowning at Shark's Cove
- Polynesian Cultural Center's Hukilau Marketplace Introduces New Dining & Retail Offers
- State Farm Fair to feature "Best Local Pie" contest