Mililani High School student a winner in 6th Annual Lucerne The Art of Dairy Contest | Arts & Culture
Safeway Inc. and its exclusive Lucerne brand of dairy products named Mililani High School's Ramil Lorenzo C. Gonzalez's spectacular "Happy Harmonies and Sweet Symphonies" cow as an Honorable Achievement Winner. This honor earned $1,000 each for Gonzalez and his art teacher Ruth Ravina-Koethe. He was selected out of the 30 students nationwide originally chosen as finalists in the competition.
Checks were presented to Gonzalez and his teacher Thursday, May 12 at a special event held in his art class. Safeway Mililani Store Manager Gary Young and Safeway District Manager for Hawaii, George Gluckfeld were on hand to present the checks and congratulate Gonzalez.
Mililani also had another talented student selected as one of the 30 finalists. Nicole McEwen's "Share the Chocolate Milk" cow shared the spotlight with Gonzalez's cow at the Mililani Safeway at the end of April.
To promote dairy products as healthy snack alternatives for kids, Safeway and Lucerne asked high school students in grades 9 to 12 to submit designs using an outline of a cow as the canvas. This year, the contest launched a new theme of "Sharing Joy" in which students were asked to interpret how they share joy through the arts. Thousands of students stepped up to the challenge and visualized a range of joyful themes. The 30 finalists then transferred their paper designs to a life-sized fiberglass cow to compete for the Grand and First Prize.
The Grand Prize winner received $20,000 for their school's art department, plus $5,000 each for the winner and their art teacher. The First Prize winner received $5,000 for their school's art department, plus $2,500 each for the student and teacher. In addition, three Honorable Achievement winners and their teachers received $1,000 each. The remaining 25 finalists received $500 U.S. Savings Bonds, bringing the total prize pool for the winners and finalists to nearly $60,000.
Including this year's prizes, Safeway has awarded more than $327,000 in prize money and art supply funds through The Art of Dairy Art Contest.
Visit www.safeway.com/lucerne to see this year's The Art of Dairy grand prize winners, past winners, contest information and healthy recipes.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Malama Learning Center to host Lauhala Weaving for Beginners workshop
- See Ewa Beach Library's Movie Mondays including "The Lego Movie"
- Wealth Managing Partners, Inc. tees off to help ill children of Hawaii
- Woman and three children escape unhurt as fire destroys their Ewa home
- Motorcyclist in stable condition after colliding with vehicle in Ewa Beach
- Common Kings to headline benefit concert for Koolauloa's youth
- Visitor from Utah dies after apparent drowning at Shark's Cove
- Polynesian Cultural Center's Hukilau Marketplace Introduces New Dining & Retail Offers
- State Farm Fair to feature "Best Local Pie" contest
- See Rakugo Japanese Storytelling at Eight Selected Public Libraries